Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Good Friend punch

I love a good spiked punch.


It's one of my favorite ways to serve cocktails to a group. Folks can serve their own serving size and I think it's makes it more about a social party than straight up drinking. When I lived in New York, my roommate, Dan, and I used to make a wine cooler every July 4th--we'd kind of wing it with a jug of Carlo Rossi and a bunch of juice and fruit. Then we'd pour it back into empty bottles and slap on a homemade label ("Dan and Fran's Freedom Cooler!"), and bring it to a July 4th rooftop party somewhere. Best July 4th memories.

Anyhoo, wine coolers and spiked punches are easy to serve on the fly for impromptu parties. Personally speaking, it's easier to keep a bottle of liquor or wine in the cabinet than a 12 pack of beer on hand in the fridge. Plus, it's easy to make it delicious!

Above is a pic of a punch I made visiting some friends in SoCal last month with what I found in the liquor cabinet and juice and fruit I bought and mixed it up in a soup pot. The measurements are approximations because the beauty of such punches is it's not exact science:

- 3 quarts of cranberry-pomegranate juice
- 1 cup of light rum
- 1 cup of Hpnotiq liquer
- 1 cup of Grand Marnier liquer
- 1 cup of DiSaronno liquer
- cut up fruit (like an orange, lime, lemon, and berries)

You can add some ice to help chill it (or dilute it) or add ice when serving. Enjoy!

1 comment: