Sunday, February 10, 2013

Vegan version of Linda's Egg/Spring rolls

I made a vegan version of Linda's egg/spring rolls with slight adjustments. I added some ginger and sesame to make up for the punch of the fish sauce.

I mixed together:
1 lb of firm tofu, smashed up with your hands
1 cup of finely shredded cabbage
1/2 cup finely grated carrots
cooked rice vermicelli noodles, about a cup (roughly chopped so they aren't long)
1 egg
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 TBSP of minced ginger
2 TBSP of sesame oil
1 TBSP roasted sesame seeds
generous sprinkle of pepper
scant TBSP of soy sauce


The filling can be made gluten-free if using tamari instead of soy sauce, so I tried to see if I could fry up some of the rice paper that I used for salad rolls to see if I could make gluten-free spring rolls:


I stuck it in the pan with the regular (vegan) spring roll wrappers:


They browned nicely, but the rice wrappers became very al dente and a bit chewy to eat.


So I'm still working on a gluten-free version of these rolls, but in the meantime, these vegan spring rolls are pretty dynamite!

1 comment:

  1. are you using the wrappers for lumpia type rolls? i used regular egg roll wrappers, but am making them again but this time i got lumpia wrappers. they're the ones that are really thin and fry up smooth instead of having tiny fry bumps. you know what i'm talking about? i checked the ingredients and they're vegan... but only ifvegan includes a few preservatives. i'll txt u a pic. the egg roll wrappers are like the same as won ton skins. the lumpia ones are the like the vietnamese fried ones that fry up smooth.

    ReplyDelete