Saturday, April 7, 2012

Coconut doughnuts

Thanks to my mother-in-law, I used a gift certificate for the Baker's catalog from the King Arthur Flour company a couple of years back, and got myself a doughnut baking pan. I was excited to make healthier versions of doughnuts at home but their standard recipe for baked doughnuts was a bit meh.  Into the cabinet the doughnut baking pan went until I decided to give it another go and perused other recipes on the King Arthur site.

I discovered a winner--Baked Coconut Doughnuts:


It calls for a few atypical ingredients (coconut milk powder, potato flour) that I had to order from King Arthur, but they seemed worth it because these doughnuts were delish. Half I tossed in a paper bag with equal parts confectioner's sugar and coconut milk powder. The other half I drizzled with a glaze made with confectioner's sugar, a trickle of milk, and some heavy drops of coconut extract.  I think I gave the slight edge to the powdered version.  But both are so good.

Though they're baked, they're still a treat, calorie-wise, and unfortunately, with the few unique ingredients, it's not exactly a cheap treat, either.  But, I enjoyed them so much, they're worth the luxury every once in a while.

I've seen the doughnut baking pans in stores like Target now, so if you're interested in an indulgent change up from pancakes or waffles, you could give these baked Coconut Doughnuts a try!

Baked Coconut Doughnuts

* 3/4 cup King Arthur Flour Mellow Pastry Blend
* 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
* 1/2 cup coconut milk powder
* 2 tablespoons potato flour
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 large egg
* 6 tablespoons water
* 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1/8 teaspoon coconut flavor

1) Preheat the oven to 375°F. Butter or grease your standard doughnut pan.

2) To make the doughnuts: Whisk together the dry ingredients.

3) In a separate bowl, beat the egg, water, oil, and flavor until frothy.

4) Pour the liquid mixture over the dry ingredients, and stir until well combined.

5) Fill each doughnut form about half full, using ¼ cup batter.

6) Bake the doughnuts for 12 to 14 minutes, until they spring back when touched lightly and are very light brown on top.

7) Cool for a few minutes, then spread with glaze, or dust with powdered sugar.

2 comments:

  1. i want a waffle maker. not the same thing but imagine waffles with strawberry compote and mascarpone whipped cream! ohhhh i also got a mixer! but the $20 kind with the 2 beater things. not a kitchenaid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Half I tossed in a paper bag with equal parts confectioner's sugar and coconut milk powder. The other half I drizzled with a glaze ACI Practice Exams Question Answers made with confectioner's sugar, a trickle of milk, and some heavy drops of coconut extract. I think I gave the slight Apple Practice Exams Question Answers edge to the powdered version. But both are so good.




    ReplyDelete